Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY Etched Glass Votives



I have been getting ready for Christmas, and candles are one of my most favourite ways to decorate. I decided to repurpose a pair of plain glass votives that I bought several months ago. After using the candles that originally came in the glass votives, I wanted to keep using them, rather than sending them off to the recycling bin.

Glass etching cream has a wonderful way of adding new life and a wonderful decorative touch to plain glass pieces. It can also be a perfect gift for the holidays. As fun as this project is, the etching cream can be dangerous to work with.  I therefore took a few safety precautions and I did the project in my laundry room (next to the sink and with the door open). I used two layers of craft paper on a board. This way I was close to the sink and had good ventilation. Another great location may be the kitchen, next to the sink with the windows open if possible.



Supplies:
  • Glass Item
  • Armour Etch Etching Cream
  • Brush
  • Stencil, Sticker or Vinyl Adhesive
  • Rubber Gloves

First, I started by making sure my glass was clean. You can clean the surface of your glass by using rubbing alcohol, which works well for removing any residue. I then created my design by using a snowflake punch and vinyl adhesive. I peeled off the backing and pressing firmly to apply the snowflakes onto the glass. You can also use stickers or cut out a design. You will also want to make sure you do not have any loose ends or bubbles.





Next, wearing a pair of rubber gloves I applied the etching cream onto the glass very generously using a brush.




I let the etching cream sit on the glass for 10 minutes then washed it away under running water. You will want to refer to the instructions on your product for this part. I finished by drying the votives with a soft cloth.



*It is recommended to do this project close to a sink in a well-ventilated area and avoid contact with your skin by wearing log sleeves and rubber gloves. Please read the product instructions before use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...