Monday, December 10, 2012

How to Make a Toddler Necktie



I recently came across a great tutorial here, which shows how to make a necktie for a toddler. Madelyn Wayment of Sharing the Wealth made a cute collection of ties that I just fell in love with, so I decided to try making one for my little guy Miles.

I made a few small changes to the pattern she provided. I started by cutting my pieces of fabric on the bias (it was not clear to me if she did this in her tutorial). I also made the neck strap from a strip of bias fabric and stitched it together a bit differently. I found that cutting the tie on the bias made it look more like a real tie and the neck strap has a bit more give around the neck. I used a snap closure, but you can also use a small piece of Velcro.

I used a piece of 100% silk for the main fabric and 100% cotton for the lining. It was also sewn together using silk thread. It was a quick and easy project to make and it was fun seeing Miles enjoy his new tie. I think I'll make a few more of these neckties. I already have a request from my ten-year old son, who thinks it looks "cool."

Here is how it was done:










I hope you enjoy making little neckties. It is a great holiday gift for the little guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...