Friday, May 3, 2013

DIY Daffodil Bouquet

One of my favourite spring flowers is the daffodil. Daffodils are a wonderful perennial with a light aroma and a wonderful range of yellow hues. Ranging from bright yellow to pale white, it is also found in a variety of sizes.


I first learnt about daffodils in William Wordsworth's poem "Daffodils," in a little poetry book my mother had in our library and I fell in love with daffodils even before I ever laid my eyes on one. Seeing the blooms this spring has reminded me of the poem and brought to mind this project.

If you are getting married this spring or early summer it is a flower to consider. I was fortunate to collect some blooms from my garden and some from a neighbouring wood lot close to my house. If you are interested in adding them to your garden, visit your local garden centre and plant some bulbs. If you will like to use them throughout your wedding, check with your florist for availability in your area.


You can make a bouquet using one colour or a combination like the one I have made. Another great option is combining your daffodils with other flowers that have the same colour for a range of texture. I also love the idea of using them in centerpieces. The amount of blooms you use will also be something to consider. The bouquet I made has a dozen stems, which makes for a cute bouquet if you are having a small garden wedding. This size bouquet is also great for bridesmaids as well.

You can make your bouquet the day before your big day. Remember to place it upright in a small amount of water (do not wet the ribbon) and keep it cool in your refrigerator.


Materials
12 Stems of Daffodils
Rubber Band
18" Velvet Ribbon
Pearl Head Pins
Scissors

Instructions
1. Remove foliage before you begin. Hold a flower in your left hand and add alternating coloured flowers to frame your centre flower, turning the bouquet each time. Point the blooms towards you as you work and continue to add flowers, while creating a rounded shape.

2. When your bouquet is your desired size. Gently secure the stems with a rubber band and make adjustments if needed. You can also use floral tape to secure stems by wrapping several times in the same place.

3. Cut the ends of the stems off so they are about 6-8 inches long or to your desired length. Cut stems so that they are in a straight line. Spray flowers lightly with water.

4. Finish your bouquet by wrapping a length of ribbon around the stems, starting from the base of the flowers moving down the stems and covering the rubber band or floral tape. Overlap ribbon slightly.

5. Insert pins into the ribbon at a slight angle to embellish and secure ribbon.

6. Place bouquet in water overnight and keep in a cool place.



Tip!
Daffodils have a substance that is toxic if ingested, so please keep this in mind if you are considering using them for your bouquet. Daffodils can be harmful to cats as well, so something to consider if you are a cat owner. It is generally a good practice to always wash your hands after handling flowers.


Daffodils
by William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for including the poem. It's lovely. As is the bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you like it Melissa! Thanks for visiting and for your kid comment.

      Delete
  2. Dear Yvette-Michelle, I am glad that my library was cause for your inspiration, knowledge building, and motivation for your love, passion and sensibilities. I am really glad to have created a culture of learning and awareness. Thanks for taking it into, through your life and inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...