Wednesday, November 28, 2012

DIY Lampshade Makeover

This past weekend, I decided to give a makeover to the tired looking lampshade on my son's bedside lamp. The lamp is blue and the lampshade was blue and the room is blue (you get the picture).  I have been slowly making changes to his room and adding a few "big boy" touches since he turned ten years old this past summer. So needless to say, this is one of many things on a long list of things to do.




I decided to wrap the lampshade using a ball of jute twine that I had left over from a previous project. I have seen a lot of great lampshade makeovers, including the one featured here, which was done by Kim at Sand and Sisal. I also thought that the lampshade makeover at The Handmade Home, was super cute and so here I am.

BEFORE



I started off by carefully removing the piping from the top and bottom edge of the lampshade. I then placed a small bead of hot glue on the top edge of the lampshade (at the back seam). It was a bit tricky to get the right amount of hot glue initially, because I did not want large clumps of glue bleeding through the rows of twine. I found that it was helpful to run the tip of the glue gun over any hardened glue beads from the previous row. It was also helpful to hold my thumb on the end of each section as I made my way around the lampshade.






I wanted there to be tiny spaces, but was careful not to show too much of the blue fabric. In the end, I must say that I love the results. I especially love the texture, and the colour change was a welcomed addition. My son was not only happy to get his lamp back, but was also quite happy with his "new" lamp.

I did find the process a bit tiring, and it took a lot longer than I had anticipated finishing the project. I cannot say that I am going to be doing more of these any time soon, but I think it is a great way to breathe new life into an outdated lampshade.

I am debating if I should also do a lamp base makeover. What do you think?


2 comments:

  1. Love your blog (the flowery background is gorgeous!) and this project with jute - so fun! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of jute craft projects here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

    -Mel the Crafty Scientist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel! I really like your roundup. There are some projects that I might try as well. Thanks for including my lampshade.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...