Friday, May 31, 2013

Sewing a Pencil Case

I enjoy working with my sewing students and helping them work through projects that they have found. This little sewing project was done by one of my young students, and I think it is a really cute beginner-sewing project. The project took just a few ends of fabric and about an hour sewing time. The longest phase was quilting the inside panel.


I had my student prepare pattern pieces using regular printer paper versus cutting directly onto the fabric. This will allow her to easily scale the pieces to make a different size case in the future. I also felt that it provided her with some additional skills for when she decides to create her own projects. We also changed the direction of the strips from the original project.


Here is a link to the original project: How to Make a Pencil Case.

I hope that you will try it out!


2 comments:

  1. I have never sewn in a zipper, so this seems like the perfect beginner project for me! Thanks for the link to the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Brandi. Let me know how it works out for you. This particular student has been taking classes with me for over a year and she just turned 12 years old. She has worked on tons of projects, loves sewing and is so focused. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...