Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Crafty Home: How to Make a Pillow Insert


My husband has been sailing with his parents since he was a baby. He learned to sail with his dad and he is eager for the day when he can call the boys crew mates. We already live in "cottage country," so about three years ago we decided to make Toronto our choice for where to keep our boat. We had it closer to home, but there is so much happening in Toronto and after living there for many years it was our way of getting to spend time in the city and enjoy some sailing on Lake Ontario.

Earlier this year we visited the Toronto International Boat Show and I was inspired. Aside from wishing and dreaming of some of the new boats with their breathtaking interiors and amazing sailing features, it made me think about ways I could make our boat more homey. As part of our Crafty Home series I will share with you the projects I will be making with the hope that it will inspire you to add some handmade and creative touches to your home or home away from home.


Our little home away from home is like an urban cottage on the water. It is a 32 feet Beneteau and comfortably sleeps four, and slightly less comfortably sleeps six. Our little family enjoy summer nights listening to the live music concerts next to the marina and walking to all the festivities of the city. Another great benefit is that we are always going away from the flow of traffic and do not have to contend with hours of cottage country traffic.


Boat lift-in was on Saturday, May 4, and we were up bright and early to make our last minute preparations. I always get so nervous seeing the boat suspended in the air and it is such a relief when it finally sits in the water and we have confirmed buoyancy. Much of the day was spent cleaning the boat and getting it ready for the season.


Several months ago I purchased two of these beautiful 100% cotton embroidered cushion covers, but I needed to get pillow inserts. I decided to make the pillow inserts from some cotton fabric I have in my studio. It was a quick and easy project and is a great alternative to buying ready made ones. If you have cushion covers and will like to make pillow inserts, here is what I did to make mines.

Making a Pillow Insert
My pillow covers are 12" x 20", so adjust your measurements to match the size of your pillow covers. Measure your pillow cover and add a minimum 1/2" for seam allowance (Fig1). I used one yard of 45" wide, 100% cotton. The amount of fabric you will need depends on the size of the pillows you are making. I also used 100% cotton thread. I used EcoFill; however, the pillow fill is something that you can find at your local craft store, Michaels, online at Joann's, or visit Walmart's craft section.

Instructions
1. Cut two pieces of fabric 13" x 21" (which includes 1/2" seam allowance).
2. Stitch around the edges using a 1/2" seam allowance and leaving an opening in the middle-bottom of the pillow.
3. Trim the ends of the pillow and turn inside out.
4. Stuff the pillow to your desired firmness and close opening with a slip stitch.


5. Place the new pillow insert into the cushion cover and enjoy.




1 comment:

  1. I love your "home-away-from home", your 'urban home on the water'; you couldn't have said it better! It's a beautiful blog post that reflects a wonderful lifestyle of rural-urban living.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...