Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

In the mid 1800’s an eight-year-old girl was kidnapped by a stranger, placed on a ship and sold to a sugarcane plantation owner in Trinidad and Tobago. Far away from her native Ife, Nigeria, she was left with flashes of childhood memories and the sound of her mother’s voice. Her name was changed to Mary Durant. She later became Mary Barber and she was my Great, Great, Great Grand Mother.

The strength that she had was passed down to her daughters and their daughters. The lessons taught and the knowledge shared lives on in my heart. It is the root of who I am as a daughter, friend, woman, and mother.


Today on Mother’s Day I, honour all Mothers in their daily task of teaching, nurturing and supporting. Today I also thank my Mother, my Grandmother, Great Grandmother and the generations that have come before me. Without these women, I would not be the person or the mother I am today.


It is because of these strong, loving and nurturing women and their ability to make it through adversities with grace and their ability to love, that I can stand here today. I am proud of who I am and I feel honoured that I have been blessed with the role of Mother and that I have such wonderful examples to follow.

My Mother and I in 1978.

Happy Mother’s Day!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful celebration and honouring of motherhood Yvette-Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...