Friday, March 22, 2013

Recycled Glass Bottle Vase


In the past I have done bridal consulting and coordinating services. Although I really loved helping couples with their weddings, I don't want to do full wedding planning as I have done in the past. I will be adding a select number of bridal services to Crafted Spaces over the next couple months and I will be approaching things differently than I did before. I look forward to seeing how these new services will evolve.

When I was considering making this addition to my services, the idea of doing an ongoing post on DIY Weddings seemed like a natural compliment. I have been giving much thought to the types of projects I will like to share and I already have a folder full of pending projects as well as Pinterest boards dedicated to weddings and do-it-yourself weddings. There is also a very lonely little post on how to make a ring pillow, which will soon have other accompanying post.

To get the ball rolling, here are the instructions on how I created this recycled glass bottle vase from a "Perrier" water bottle.


Materials
Glass Bottle
Jute Twine
Hot Glue Gun
Glue Sticks

1. Gather your supplies.

2. Wash your bottle. Depending on how stubborn the glue is on the bottle you choose, you may want to soak it as needed. If this only results in the paper coming off with a gluey mess left behind, you can also try any combination of cooking oil, dish soap, hot water and a knife or razor blade scraper. Dry your glass bottle once you have it clean.

3. Place a small bead of glue on the end of your twine and start working from the bottom of the bottle towards the top.

4. Place a little line of glue and lay the twine on top of the glue. Continue working your way around the bottle. With the following row of twine, glue close to the previous row, to avoid too much spacing between rows. Work with a small amount of glue at a time and in a small section at a time.

4. Work the rows of twine to about 1/3 of the bottle - I did mine at 3 inches on a 10 inch bottle. You can cover more or less of your bottle if you desire.

5. Finish your last row with a small bead of glue on the twine and then press against the glass. You may need to clean up any stray threads of glue or beads of glue.

6. Repeat the process at the top of the bottle a couple inches down and working toward the opening. I glued my bottle top with 2 inches of twine.

7. Add water and arrange your flowers.



I love this project, because it is fun and simple to make. You can do a vase that sits beautifully on a guest sign-in table or make a collection of them to use as table centrepieces. You do not have to make all the same, you can play with different shape bottles and a combination of patterns with the twine. Another great idea is perhaps dying or painting the twine to match the colour of your wedding. This can be a great activity that you can get your entire bridal party involved in doing. Everyone can collect bottles and you can turn the event into a wedding crafting party.


I would have loved to use fresh blossoms for this project, but unfortunately nothing in my garden is in bloom just yet and most of what I see around me is still covered in snow. I have a few flower shops in Toronto that I love getting fresh flowers from, so next time I will have to feature something with some fresh blooms.

I hope that this project inspires you. I think that this vase will add a creative touch and is a great way to recycle bottles. What do you think of the new vase? Do you have any similar projects that you have done?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...