Monday, March 25, 2013

Home Organization Challenge: The Basement Part 2

The basement can seem like a dark dungeon, but they do not have to be so bad. My basement was used as a gym, storage and my father-in-law's carpentry workshop. Not much was done to the space with the exception of one room, that my husband used to practice music in as a teenager.

In the past four years, my husband and I have chipped away at small projects in the basement, mostly focused around creating a sound production and music-recording studio. We have sound proofed a couple of the walls, did some dry walling, closed off the staircase on one side and created an isolation booth. We have done a few other projects, and have rearranged things a countless number of times.

The basement has two small west facing windows, which means we do not get much natural light. We are lucky that it is nice and dry and has great air circulation. We have future plans to remodel the basement and transform it from semi-finished to finish. However, until the remodelling becomes a reality, I am trying to work with what is there and to get the most out of the space.

I continued where I had left off in Basement Part 1 and spent most of the week organizing the rest of the space. I am very happy with the results, but there is still more that can be done to improve things. I am happy to have things a lot less cluttered and I look forward to making it homier. As I have mentioned before the basement is currently home to a craft studio, family area, recording studio, gym, and utility room. Yes! A lot has been packed into the space and making it work the way my family and I will like it to has meant getting everyone involved in the process. I am happy to have it organized so that my family and I can fully enjoy the space.

This week we are into week eleven of our twelve weeks Home Organization Challenge. The focus this week is on the dining room. My dining area is fairly small and is part of my kitchen (eat-in kitchen). I left this space towards the end of the challenge, because it has been one of the main areas that I have been using to sort items and deal with the spillover items. My family and I are looking forward to reclaiming the space and having a proper sit down meal again. Just in time for Easter!

Week 11 - Dining Room

To Do List:
  • Clear out the space and sort items into four categories; keep, donate, trash and other room
  • Wipe walls and baseboards
  • Clean table, chairs and other furnishings
  • Clean or wash blinds or draperies
  • Clean doors, door knobs and windows
  • Clean floors
  • Clean light fixtures
Happy Organizing!

UPDATE:
This post will be updated with images during the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...