Your pattern generally comes with a pattern instruction sheet(s), which I referred to in the post on How to Cut Pattern and Fabric Pieces. There may be several sheets folded together, which has fabric layouts, a glossary of the pattern symbols and step-by-step sewing instructions. Unfortunately, instructions are not always clear and concise and can take away from the fun of sewing. A full review prior to sewing, therefore means that you can identify if the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
Here are some of the other benefits of a full pattern instruction review:
- Confirm that you have cut and prepared all your pieces correctly.
- Take you through the steps and techniques needed to complete your project.
- Confirm the seam allowance needed for the different parts of the project.
- Help you plan your workflow, especially on a big project.
- A great way to identify where you can make modifications to the sewing process.
Previous Post | Next
Fall Wardrobe Sew-Along
How To Take Body Measurements
Selecting A Pattern
How To Prepare Fabric For Sewing
How To Cut Pattern And Fabric Pieces
Reviewing Pattern Instruction Sheet
Sew-Along - Butterick 6182 Skirt
Sew-Along - New Look 6005 Pants
Sew-Along - Burda 6820 T-Shirt